Are you a community development professional? Passionate about supporting people seeking asylum?
Position Title: Community Development Coordinator
Work Type/s: Full Time (5 days/week for 1 year with the possibility of extension depending on funding)
Reports to: Manager – the Arrupe Project
Award: SCHADS Level 5.1
Location: Western Sydney (position is based at our Westmead JRS community space with some travel to the head office in Elizabeth Bay and other locations around Western Sydney)
Applications close: 15 July, 2019.
About JRS Australia.
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. Our mission is to serve, advocate and accompany people seeking asylum and refugees.
About the position.
This exciting position requires a community development professional who is passionate about supporting people seeking asylum. The Community Development Coordinator is responsible for the planning and/or co-design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of social, educational, cultural and well-being programs and events focused on the self-empowerment and well-being of people seeking asylum. The Community Development Coordinator reports to JRS’ Arrupe Project Manager.
In partnership with others, the Community Development Coordinator will ensure that those who are marginalised and excluded from society are included and supported to gain and strengthen self-confidence to increase their engagement with the local community and to assert their rights, with a particular focus on youth-led programs.
The Community Development Coordinator will also work with the Volunteer Coordinators, to recruit and roster volunteers across various program areas, with a particular focus on promoting client-volunteering. Download the full position description here.
- Minimum three years’ work experience in community development, international development, human rights, community/social services or similar.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in community development, social work, human rights, international development, or similar.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating workshops and forums, including delivering capacity building training.
- Demonstrated ability to consult, identify, implement, and monitor and evaluate community development initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in working with people who are in the process of seeking asylum and/or with people from refugee backgrounds or migrants in vulnerable situations, as well as a high level of cross-cultural awareness.
- Outstanding networking skills and experience building and maintaining partnerships with key partners and stakeholders
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Capacity to manage competing deadlines, prioritise workload appropriately and work in a flexible manner.
- Adherence to the mission and values of Jesuit Refugee Services and the Australian Jesuit Province.
- Commitment to human rights, gender equality and social justice and a passion for the rights of people seeking asylum and refugees.
- Commitment to working within current Equal Employment opportunities (EEO), Work Health and Safety (WH&S), and child protection legislation
- Fluent in a relevant community language.
- People from refugee backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in advocacy on refugee and asylum issues.
- Experience in youth work or in supporting youth-led programs or initiatives.
How to Apply:
To apply, please address all of the selection criteria and send your response, along with your resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by COB on Monday, 15th July 2019.
Download the full position description here. If you would like further information about the Community Development Coordinator position, please contact Maeve Brown, Manager for the Arrupe Project.
Contact: Maeve Brown – Manager, the Arrupe Project
Ph: (02) 9098 9336